_SLOW_ response to login request

Peter Murray pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
Wed Oct 3 12:46:05 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep17.203920.26835 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, hudson at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Hudson) writes:
> I had read in several previous postings of unusually long waits for
> logins under Ultrix and had only seen one solution - use a non-DEC
> version of bind.
>
> I am running Ultrix 3.1 (UWS 2.1) on a VaxStation II-GPX.  Typical waits
> for valid logins are from 90-120 seconds, sometimes longer.  The problem
> seems to be independent of machine load, request location (local, remote,
> or console) and communication program (rlogin, telnet, etc.).

Are you running the Gateway version of telnetd (telnetd.gw)?  This version
of the daemon allows users to use the login: prompt to connect to other
machines on decnet and the internet.  When you mentioned that you replaced
bind, my ears perked up.

Running the non-gateway version of telnetd might increase response time.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #6:             pemurray at miavx1.bitnet
176 Thompson Hall         csh> ar m God           pmurray at apsvax.aps.muohio.edu