58n0

Michel Fingerhut mf at ircam.ircam.fr
Mon Oct 1 18:05:35 AEST 1990

To Alan Rollow (alan at shodha.enet.dec.com): you miss the point.  One
would assume that DEC would have checked Ultrix 4.0 on 58n0 (n>1)
*before* shipping it out, and would have realized that such commands as
"ls" take several *seconds* for small directories.  This is IMMEDIATELY
noticeable.  One would also have assumed that if a problem had been
found then, it would have appeared either in the release notes, or in
mandatory patches, or in a special page added to the release (as
sometimes happens).

Well, this was not the case.  So *either* the software was not tried on
such configurations (hard to believe, but this would not be the first
time, eh?  Remember the GT62?) or *else* customers were not informed
(which I believe is the case, since the support center was well aware
of the problem when I called them).

As to reporting the problem: we can do it only by phone, are given a
call number and most of the time hear that it will get in the next
release, hopefully.

But to this particular problem, I was also told it was a much more
serious problem, namely design flaws in the 58n0.  That was DEC's
response.  So you bet I'm worried.