Ultrix 2.2 Kernel Rebuild Problem

Kevin L. Gross klg at flash.UUCP
Sat Oct 20 04:22:41 AEST 1990

In article <1112 at flash.UUCP> I wrote:

>Hi,
>  I have a Microvax II running Ultrix 2.2. I know its older than god,
>  but I have no upgrade options at this time. The problem is that I
>  need to build a new kernel for this machine and it won't work.  I
>  cannot build a new kernel, I cannot rebuild the existing kernel, I
>  can't even build the generic kernel.

Well, the answer is that backups backup whatever is there to backup. In
other words, after the January of 1990 backup didn't work, I went all
the way back to February of 1988 and found a backup of the /sys directory
and restored it and again attempted to rebuild the kernel and it WORKED!

So, thanks for all the suggestions and DEC was right, a reinstall of the
O/S would have worked, however, a good backup is worth its weight in gold!

Still have no idea which file was corrupted or when, but who cares?
--
-Kevin L. Gross          Systems Mgr.           klg at Summation.WA.COM
 As long as the systems are up, my employers don't care what I think

"Obviously, I am dealing with inferior mentalities."   -  Daffy Duck