Ultrix 3.1C uucp will not dial a LAT terminal modem

Matt Thomas thomas at mipsbx.lkg.dec.com
Tue Sep 18 00:16:39 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep17.063335.17243 at watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
>I verify that I can "tip" to it (not using /etc/acucap, though) and talk
>to my modem.  No problem.  I then run this:

>So much for that.  Looks like LAT ttys are not full ttys.  I wish it said
>this somewhere in the documentation, so I didn't have to waste all this
>time trying to use them.  Uucp and tip use the TIOCWONLINE ioctl via the
>aculib code to wait for carrier, and since they don't check the return
>code from the ioctl, it appears to "succeed", only to have it fail
>immediately because no "CONNECT" string is found.

LAT will connect during the open sequence.  One the open finishes, either
you are connected (0 is returned) or it failed.  The line may or may not
have carrier but LAT doesn't (can't) know that.  I could support TIOCWONLINE
but it would always return success and would never sleep.  Would that help
any?

>Please, people, check the return codes of your system calls!

>I think I finally have to admit defeat and move my uucp call-out modem
>off my DS200/MC onto a MVII serial card.  Does Ultrix 4.0 support real
>modem signals on host-initiated LAT connections?  (Oh please?)

It can't.  The LAT protocol does not contain any support for manipulation
or control of modem signals beyond the act of connecting to the port.

Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas at wrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas
Digital Equipment Corporation   Disclaimer: This message reflects my own
Littleton, MA                               warped views, etc.