ANy joy with 3rd party SCSI disks on DS3100?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Tue Sep 25 20:50:02 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep25.083654.9716 at brolga.cc.uq.oz.au> ggm at brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (George Michaelson) writes:

> I've just tried plugging a Fujitsu 2263SA 600Mb drive into my DS3100.
> After downgrading the thing to SCSI I it passed test -c ok.
> when I booted vmunix it hung the kernel probing the rz devices.
>
> It also had to be SCSI device 0 to not hog the bus, irrespective of
> internal jumper settings.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hog the bus" - I doesn't sound like you're
getting enough action to judge this.  Are you booting from some other
drive temporarily change to unix number X?  If so, can you get the system
up without the new drive installed?  You may have to change your config
file as far as where root/swap/dump live (or use the generic kernel (maybe)).

Have you gotten the drive to work as some other unit, with probing
and newfs and all that?

You might have to create an appropriate SCSI device entry to match the
drive ID info in /sys/data/scsi_data.c, it might be a problem with some
of those magic option bits.

> -Has anybody got any comments on getting this or other 3rd party drives
> to work on a DS3100? It is known to work on the MIPS M120.

I recently plugged a pair of Conner CP3200's (200 MB each) into my pet
DS3100.  Not too surprisingly (DEC uses Conner drives w/DEC ID's), they
worked without any problems, even with the default SCSI device description.

Does anybody know the DEC part number for the internal drive mounting
brackets, or a third party source that will sell just the brackets?

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com