VMS vs. Ultrix DECnet task to task comm.

elsen at esat.kuleuven.ac.be elsen at esat.kuleuven.ac.be
Mon Sep 24 05:08:12 AEST 1990

  Can I execute a remote shell ("task") using DECnet Task-to-Task
  communication between Ultrix (target) and VMS ?
  The target node runs Ultrix (UWS 2.1) and the originating node
  runs VMS V5.3-1.
  I know it works between VMS systems but when I type something like

  $ type  ultrix_node::"0=/usr/users/elsen/shellscript.sh" ! issued on VMS host

  I always get '...network object is unknown at remote node'
  I tried setting and defining a 'TASK' object on Ultrix using several
  flavours but to no avail ?

  You want to know WHY I want to do all of this :

  We are designing an application which executes both on VMS and
  Ultrix platforms : a VMS COMM file generates an Ultrix shell
  script and which is  then copied to an Ultrix running target node.

  I only need a way to fire it up from within the VMS command file.
  If you have other solutions (without using DECnet ?)
  please tell me , because even if
  I get this to work I wouldn't want to use the TASK object in the end
  since it isn't secure enough.

                                                         Thanks
--

  Marc Elsen (System Manager/Software Engineer)
  Katholieke Universiteit Leuven

               EMAIL : elsen at esat.kuleuven.ac.be
                       psi%02062166012::elsen  (VMS PSI MAIL)