Ultrix 3.1C uucp will not dial a LAT terminal modem

Ian! D. Allen [CGL] idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
Wed Sep 19 11:24:24 AEST 1990

In article <15412 at shlump.nac.dec.com> thomas at mipsbx.lkg.dec.com (Matt Thomas) writes:
>LAT will connect during the open sequence.  One the open finishes, either
>you are connected (0 is returned) or it failed.  The line may or may not
>have carrier but LAT doesn't (can't) know that.  I could support TIOCWONLINE
>but it would always return success and would never sleep.  Would that help
>any?

No, TIOCWONLINE should not be supported if it doesn't work.  *You* don't
have to do anything -- the fellow who added stuff to UUCP and didn't
check his system calls has to clean up his act.

>The LAT protocol does not contain any support for manipulation
>or control of modem signals beyond the act of connecting to the port.

I wish my sales reps had known that before I bought three DS200/MC
terminal servers and tried for days to make UUCP work on them.  UUCP
and TIP have all this wonderful code for setting baud rates and using
serial lines, and it's all useless on Ultrix LAT ports.  I have a pair
of DS5400's sitting here and I have to put my outgoing TIP and UUCP
line on a MVII!
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada