what am I doing wrong with xdm

Dana Carson carson at tron.UUCP
Sat Sep 22 08:09:15 AEST 1990

   I am trying to use xdm instead of the DEC session manager as my X
startup.  It looks good at first but after logging in and logging out
I get two login boxes!  I fiddled with it for a while and have tried
using the simplest possible xdm configuration files I can thing of and
it's still happening.

   It looks like it starts going wrong right away since I tried
rebooting my workstation and a ps-ax | grep xdm from a dumb terminal
without ever logging in as an X user gives three xdms running.

   After a login, logout cycle I have three but two of them have new
PIDs.  I get a normal login box.  Another cycle and I get two login
boxes that want me to click to place (I'm using uwm).  A ps shows four
xdms running.  The PIDs are different for four of them.
	example
	first time before login
	PIDs 83, 86, 110
	after login logout
	PIDs 83, x, y
	after next login logout
	PIDs 83, 1043, 1046, 1050

  I am using DECwindows X not MIT X.

  Any answers, questions, suggestions?

  Thanks in advance.

--
Dana Carson
Westinghouse Electronic Systems Group  Mail Stop 1615
     carson at tron.bwi.wec.com
     ...!uunet!tron!carson
AT&T: (301) 765-3513
WIN: 285-3513