GCC/G++ under Ultrix 4.0

Jaye Mathisen mathisen at dali.cs.montana.edu
Fri Sep 21 06:18:29 AEST 1990

In article <216 at srchtec.UUCP> mra at srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) writes:
>In article <574 at creatures.cs.vt.edu> lat at creatures.cs.vt.edu (Laurie Zirkle) writes:
>>In article <68294 at lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> hbrand at lll-crg.llnl.gov (Hal Brand) writes:
>>>I am trying to build the GCC 1.37.1 compilier on a DECStation 5000
>>>under Ultrix 4.0A.  After editing Makefile and doing a "gcc.config
>>>decstation", the "make" dies while cc-ing the file symout.c due to a
>>>"typedef unsigned log size_t;" in ./stddef.h. Looking at
>>>/usr/include/stdlib.h, I edited ./stddef.h to be conditional on _SIZE_T_
>>>instead of _SIZE_T, restarted the make, and everything ran to completion.

Cheap cop-out way that works is to remove/rename the supplied stddef.h, and
use the one supplied with Ultrix 4.0

>>>Doing the "make stage1" also worked. However, doing the:
>>>          make CC=stage1/gcc CFLAGS="-g -O -Bstage1/"
>>>dies quickly. The first thing done is:
>>>          stage1/gcc [stuff omitted]  -c    `echo ./gcc.c | sed 's,^\./,,'`
>>>This gives the errors:
>>>   /usr/include/sys/file.h:125: warning: garbage at end of #ifdef argument

This is because the line is something like:

#ifdef FOO || defined(KERNEL)

and should be

#if defined(FOO) || defined(KERNEL)

I think it's a little creeping ansi-ism...

>>>   cc1: Invalid option `-g'

The -g problem comes from the fact that as far as I know, not too much
work hasa been completed in allowing GCC to mess around with debugging, because
of MIPS's weird Object file format...  Simplest just to not compile with
-g...