DECsystem 5000 as a timesharing computer

Terry J. Klarich terry at unx2.ucc.okstate.edu
Sat Apr 20 00:43:09 AEST 1991

We had a dec 5000 for trial for about a month and a half.  It had 64 mb of ran
and 2 gb of disk space.  The average number of users was about 35.  The load
was spread out amoung compiles, mail, news and vi.  Also, there were a few
research type number crunching processes which were always
running in the background.  I was impressed with the overall preformance of
the machine.  The load average stayed around 1.0 to about 3.0.  I am not sure
what is considered to be loaded though.  If you have any specific questions, I
would be glad to relay any experiences or information I can.