Problems with relaying email...

Peter Wemm peter at cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au
Sat Apr 27 02:58:27 AEST 1991

rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:

>In article <1991Apr24.134148.24430 at ucunx1.san.uc.edu> Don.Rainwater at UC.Edu writes:
>>
>>	I'm having some problems with mail from my Ultrix 4.1 system.
>>Apparently, the headers aren't coming out quite right.  The "real" From:
>>header seems to be okay, since it comes out as username at ucunix.san.uc.edu
>>(as it should).  However, up above this in the headers is another line
>>that contains username at ucunix.  The name of this header line is called
>>either From or Return-path:, depending on the receiving machine.  When
>>it's a Return-path line, the address is enclosed in <>.

>  This sounds like a configuration error on the Ultrix system.  It is the
>responsibility of that system to ensure that all mail leaving the system
>has proper return address, meaning fully qualified domain names.  You
>will need to look at the mailer definition for the mailer being used to
>send out this mail.  The mailer definition line begins with 'M', and you
>can determine which mailer is being used by sending mail with /usr/ucb/Mail
>using the '-v' (verbose) option.

>From my experience, the ultrix sendmail has some very bizare "features".
Normal sendmail used the $j macro as the fully qualified domain name..
But ultrix uses $j as the hostname only, and selectively decides if and
when to add the domain name....

I had all sorts of trouble, and nothing seemed to cure it..  So we junked
the Ultrix (BTW ver 3.0) version and got Sendmail 5.65b/IDA-1.4.3 and
are Extremely happy with it...  If you can get it, USE IT!

--
Peter Wemm