Problems with SLIP on Ultrix 4.0

Larry Dunkelman larryd at toby.bnr.ca
Fri Apr 5 11:45:50 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr4.105809.12887 at uniwa.uwa.oz> toivo at uniwa.uwa.oz (Toivo Pedaste) writes:
.
>My guess as to what is happening is the the buffer space refered to is
>a per interface limit on the number of data buffers outstanding and
>the message occurs when the data is being sent faster than it is able
>to be transmitted. There is a problem that this condition is not recovered
>from, possibly due to a bug in the networking code that doesn't usually show
>up because it is generally possible to transmit onto the ethernet faster
>than to send data into the network software.

When I first got slip up, I transmitted a 21MB file.  It was transferred
in about 7 hours (9.6K baud line) with an effective transfer rate of
0.86K bytes / second.  Not one packet error.  Both systems were idle
(except for the ftp).

My problems started when one of the systems had some load.  That doesn't
correlate well with your hypothesis but I have nothing better to offer.
It wouldn't be so bad if I could restart slip without rebooting both
systems.

By the way, does anyone know what the meaning of 'mtu' is (netstat -i) ?
For my slip interface (sl0) I get a 'mtu' of 1006.

Larry
larryd!bnrmtl at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
				  ^^^^^
				  this is not named after me; its friends are mo and curly.