Copying RX50 boot floppies

Robert Gill gill at mars.m2c.org
Tue Apr 9 00:07:53 AEST 1991

Hi All:

The place that employees me (and let's me post) belongs to a program of
Digital's called ESL.  Under this program we receive a lot of DEC's software
at a reduced cost.  For this "priviledge" we pay a price, we can only receive
the software on TK50s.

Well, now it's time to upgrade our 2 VAX 8530s to Ultrix 4.1 and low and
behold we can't get boot floppies under this program because, you guessed it,
they aren't TK50s.  My field service rep has "borrowed" a set of floppies for
us to copy.  I know that the RX50 drives on the PRO350 console are accessed
through /dev/rcsX{a,c}.  I can also access the floppies via dd and put the
data on disk.

My question is: Does anyone have any experience with this?  What flags, if any,
should I use (such as block size)?  Advice... (other than getting new systems
that don't require boot floppies)

My need is kind of immediate (isn't it always :-) since my field service rep
only has the floppies for a couple of days.  E-mail or posting is fine.  Either
way I will summarize.

Mucho thanks,
Bob
------
Robert W. Gill       | Massachusetts Microelectronics Center  ##   ## 2 #####
Sr. System Operator  | 75 North Drive, Westboro, MA  01581    ### ###  ##
E-mail: gill at m2c.org | (508)870-0312, ext. 259                ##   ##   #####