too many users

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu Apr 25 23:13:07 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr22.174733.1519 at urz.unibas.ch> frank at urz.unibas.ch writes:
> In article <8061 at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, barrett at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
> > In article <1991Apr17.105520.1507 at urz.unibas.ch> frank at urz.unibas.ch writes:
> >>First you must have a license for more than 8 users.
> >>(Type license as root on root to verify.)
> > But this is wrong -- we have an unlimited users license.  (Ultrix 4.0.)
> >
> O.K. looks like the RISC and VAXstations have different Ultrixes than "normal"
> VAXS. There is, however, a so called license management facility lmf which
> handles all kinds of licenses (at leas on our VAX).
> If this doesn't apply to your system, then you realy must have something else
> than we do.

LMF is new with Ultrix 4.x - previous versions used a "simple" license key
file mechanism.  For compatibilty, newer versions can still use the old key
files for the user limit, in addition to LMF facilities.

In this case, an administrator may never of had any reason to use LMF.  Also,
I don't know that LMF knows about the license keys and might report a lower
user limit than really pertains...
but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com