help needed with UCX

Norman Diamond diamond at jit345.swstokyo.dec.com
Fri Apr 19 15:47:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr17.210645.480 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz> lawrence at isams.dnet.nasa.gov writes:

>Thee error is something like:
>getwd: read error in .. -- can't start new shell

Since no one else has answered this, I will try to give a slight stab
with a very dull knife here.  The NFS system is often configured so
that a root client will have even fewer privileges than an ordinary
(unprivileged) user.  Partly this is to discourage clients from using
root, since they "should" use their actual userid, but it has side
effects.  For example, a root client might fail on a call to getwd()
because it can't follow the directory path back to the top (reading
the .. entry in each directory).

'Fraid I've never used UCX and don't know the correct answer to this
problem.  But if no one else can give an answer, then maybe putting
world read permission on some directories, or use of proxies in a
certain manner, might help.  As I said, just a stab with a dull knife.
Norman Diamond       diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com