Problem with tip

Larry Dunkelman larryd at toby.bnr.ca
Sun Feb 24 14:43:34 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb23.114432.26318 at pronto.mh.nl> Johan Vromans <jv at mh.nl> writes:
>Well, it may not be a tip problem, but nevertheless...
>
>Scenario:
>
>  - From a DECstation3100, Ultrix4.0, I open a DXterm session on a
>    VAXstation3100 with Ultrix 3.1:
>
>       dxterm -e rlogin host
>
>  - From this window, I use tip to connect to a remote system via a
>    modem.
>
>  - When finished with the remote system, I type "~." to tip. Almost
>    immediately the DXterm window disappears.

'rlogin' also uses "~" as its escape character.  In your case, to
exit the 'tip' session you must type "~~."   Another way around this
problem is either to use a different escape character for 'rlogin'
(eg. rlogin -e@) or to define a different escape character to 'tip'
in your .tiprc file (es=@).

Hope this helps.

Larry Dunkelman