Will Ultrix...

Daryl Morse morse at quark.mpr.ca
Sat Feb 16 01:53:53 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb14.235721.355 at nic.csu.net> shahryar at sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu (Persian Nightmare) writes:

<	   I am wondering when DEC plans to re-write Ultrix and base it on
<   BSD 4.3 or later.  Personally I think using 4.2 as a standard is
<   ok, but 4.3 has so many more nice things we can with it, and with
<   4.4 coming out, hmmmmmmmm??? :-)

In the future, Ultrix will *not* be based on BSD. DEC is an active
member of the OSF and has publicly announced that at some time in the
future, Ultrix will be based OSF/1 (ie. Mach kernel + lots of other
functionality). While I'm not familiar with BSD, I have read quite a
few papers on Mach. I would be surprised if BSD came anywhere near the
level of innovation of Mach (ie. threads, SMP, IPC, memory management,
etc.)
--
Daryl Morse                     | Voice : (604) 293-5476
MPR Teltech Ltd. 		| Fax   : (604) 293-5787
8999 Nelson Way, Burnaby, BC    | E-Mail: morse at quark.mpr.ca
Canada, V5A 4B5                 |         quark.mpr.ca!morse at uunet.uu.net