Will Ultrix...

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.DEC.COM
Thu Feb 21 07:54:33 AEST 1991

As always, please talk to your local Digital Sales and Technical
Support people for full details and information.  Not that I saw
anything grossly wrong, but it does bother me that the
answers about the future direction of Digital's ULTRIX product
family have customer responses outnumbering Digital responses
in the newsgroup.  The response I mailed to the original poster
is correct.  (:-))

Basically, "dropping support" is a strong phrase. (From
<1991Feb20.002325.19167 at Arco.COM>.)  And not implementing
shared libraries until an OSF/1-based release does not indicate
non-repair of bugs as the example cites a missing feature, not
a bug.

Anyway the correct, short answer is that the next major
release of ULTRIX will be OSF/1-based, as we have stated
numerous times over the last half-year, and that is our corporate
direction for our open systems based products.

Fred