My Ultrix 4.1 uVax II/RC won't start up!

jay dubb jdubb at bucsf.bu.edu
Mon Feb 4 04:18:32 AEST 1991

   I am posting this for a friend of mine who doesn't have access
to USENET, so please respond directly to mlevin at jade.tufts.edu.

   I have a uVax II/RC running Ultrix 4.1.  Normally, when I turn it
on, it does the usual sytem tests, prints out a bunch of stuff about
memory size, etc., and then the screen clears to a gray pattern, and
the DEC logo appears, along with a login: box, allowing me to log in.
Yesterday, it did the same thing (showed no errors during system
tests), but then after clearing the screen to gray, it thought for
a while, and then cleared it again to black (where the mouse motion is
seen as a white square moving on the screen), and then again to gray,
and so on, ad infinitum.  It appers it cannot get the logo and login:
box going.  Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong, or how I can
find out what the problem is? Recently, some stuff was deleted off the
disk in an attempt to free up space (I used setld -d to remove the 75
dpi and 150 dpi fonts, for example). Could it be that it needs those
fonts to do the initial login?
   I can use the BREAK key to break it out of the screen-clearing
cycle, and enter console mode. Is there anything I can do from console
mode to bring the system up (at least, to single-user/no Windows)?
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

					Mike Levin (mlevin at jade.tufts.edu)