ATT C++ Release 2.1 under Ultrix 4.0

Ian! D. Allen [CGL] idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
Mon Feb 11 17:51:21 AEST 1991

In article <91039.104006DEEJ at MAINE.BITNET> DEEJ at MAINE.BITNET (Dj Merrill) writes:
>The compiler is made in 2 stages, a make scratch stage, which
>works fine, and a make munch stage, which gives the following
>after executing partway:
>
>sh: illegal io
>*** Error code 1
>Stop.

You can't redirect I/O on certain Ultrix /bin/sh built-in commands, e.g.

   $ set >/tmp/foo
   [...lots of junk...]
   illegal io
   $ read junk </tmp/foo
   [...type one line here, then...]
   illegal io

If you run the script under /bin/sh5, which doesn't have these
problems, it may work.  Change the starting #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/sh5
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada