Problem with dump

Root Boy Jim rbj at uunet.UU.NET
Fri Feb 1 06:40:56 AEST 1991

In article <529 at mesrx.UUCP> bbraden at mesrx.UUCP (Bill Braden) writes:
>Using dump under Ultrix V3.1 and trying to do a level 0 dump of /usr
>I am getting the following result:
>  DUMP: This dump will occupy 13296 (10240 byte) blocks on 0.39 tape(s).
>  DUMP: (This should not happen)bread from /dev/rra0c [block 69872]:
>count=8192, got=-1
>  DUMP: 13295 tape blocks were dumped on 1 tape(s)
>  DUMP: Dump is done

OK, I won't flame you, but if you really want to know, you may have
to dump with the FS unmounted, or read only. What happens when you
dump the block device? Perhaps your FS is screwed up. Can you write
a C program (or use dd) to read block 69872? Can you take the tape
and restore it somewhere else (different machine or partition)?
You will note that only one block was missed. Use the duck test.
If your dump tape walks, talks, and quacks like a dump tape, then it's
problably a dump tape. Probably. As you say, life is not without risk.
--

	Root Boy Jim Cottrell <rbj at uunet.uu.net>
	Close the gap of the dark year in between