Ultrix 4.2

Brian Kelley brian at cimage.com
Thu Feb 7 23:55:02 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb1.195843.28684 at ims.alaska.edu> fnddr at acad3.alaska.edu writes:
>One thing that would speed up the upgrade is if the installation process
>wouldn't newfs all of the file systems it sees, making it necessary to restore
>all the user files.  But unless there is some trick to bypass it in advanced
>installation, I don't see how to avoid it.

I did the upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 a couple of weeks ago.  The machine was a
system 5400 with three ra type disks.  Disk 0 had all of our system on it,
disk 1 had swap and user files and disk 2 just had user files.  My user
partitions were _not_ newfs'd.  I did the advanced install.  Reading the
installation notes (actually, I believe it may have been in the early portion
of the basic installation guide), I recall reading that only system partitions
would be re-made.  I backed up everything anyway, of course.

However, if you are going from a pre-4.0 release, it could be different.
I'm not aware of any filesystem changes that occurred which would require
them to be newfs'd (ala SunOS 4.0.3 -> 4.1), but then again, I don't have
any experience with pre-4.0 Ultrix.

>Don Rice                                  Internet: ddr at flux.gi.alaska.edu
>Geophysical Institute                     E-mail:   fnddr at alaska.bitnet
>University of Alaska                      Phone:    (907) 474-7569
>Fairbanks, AK 99775                       Loran:    64.86N 212.16E

---
brian at cimage.com