Will Ultrix...

John Haxby jch at dyfed.rdg.dec.com
Fri Feb 22 19:58:08 AEST 1991

In article <MORSE.91Feb21204636 at quark.mpr.ca>, morse at quark.mpr.ca (Daryl Morse) writes:
|> How much actual "BSD" or "AT&T" code is in OSF/1? I vaguely recall
|> reading that some BSD and AT&T code exists in OSF/1, and that there
|> may even be some in OSF/2? Is that correct?

You still need an AT&T source license for OSF/1 (the source, anyway),
something more-or-less equivalent to a BSD4.3 source license (though I
forget the exact requirements).

Mach 3, which (one presumes) will form the basis of OSF/2 is publically
available, or at least the micro-kernel and UNIX server are.  The VAX
specific code requires a BSD license, the Sun specific code requires a Sun
license (I'm quoting from memory, I'm sure you've seen the annoucements :-)
The i386 and mips dependent code does not require any special license and
comes with the Mach 3 kit.

If OSF plan to unencumber OSF/2 (or whatever) you'll have to talk to
someone who can give you an official answer.
--
John Haxby, Definitively Wrong.
Digital				<jch at wessex.rdg.dec.com>