suspicious behavior of lseek() on NFS files

David Collier-Brown davecb at yunexus.YorkU.CA
Fri Feb 22 01:14:12 AEST 1991

emv at ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
| What I'm seeing (Ultrix 4.1, Dec 3100) is that NFS mounted files
| sometimes read back nulls at the end of a growing file when the size
| is determined this way.  Almost as the the lseek(fd,0,SEEK_END) was
| zero-filling some cache somewhere with the wrong thing.  Note that on
| "real" unix filesystems this works just fine (45 mb/day read this way).

  This sounds a lot like a recurring Sun NFS problem: under unspecified
high-load conditions and large copies, blocks of files get randomly
filled with NULLs.
  Sun has said ``fixed in 3.2'' ... ``fixed in 4.1.1'' ad nauseam, but
the only reliable advice seems to be ``buy a faster machine''.  Someone
may be able to find more info in the sun-spots archives.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb at Nexus.YorkU.CA | lethe!dave
72 Abitibi Ave.,      |