2 questions: setld format, and vmunix vs. genvmunix

jay dubb jdubb at bucsf.bu.edu
Mon Feb 11 14:35:45 AEST 1991

   I am posting this for a friend of mine who doesn't have access
to USENET, so please respond directly to mlevin at jade.tufts.edu.

   I have two unrelated questions (I am a novice at this...).
1) What kind of format does the setld utility use? Specifically, I am
wondering how I would load a software set onto my uVax II/RC Ultrix 4.1
system via tk50 tape (it does not have access to any network). I need
to re-load the 75 dpi fonts onto my system (because it won't boot to
Windows mode without them, as I sadly found out), and am wondering how
I can get the set onto a tk50 tape in format that the setld command
will understand, if all I have is access to a machine which houses all
the available Ultrix sets on disk. I guess the bottom line is: how do
I tell it to build me a setld set onto a tk50 tape?
2) Which of vmunix or genvmunix does the uVax II/RC Ultrix 4.1 machine
use when it automatically boots up to multi-user DecWindows mode, and
what would happen (and why) if the other one were to be deleted?
Thanks in advance. Please reply directly.

				Mike Levin (mlevin at jade.tufts.edu)