How to generate a packet filter device driver in Ultrix

Roland Schemers III schemers at vela.acs.oakland.edu
Thu Feb 14 02:02:15 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb13.020117.27922 at pa.dec.com> mogul at wrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) writes:

>I'm not quite sure how you intend to use the promiscuous mode support
>of the packet filter, but quite often people neglect to run
>	/etc/pfconfig +p <interface-name>

>	pub/net/nfs/nfswatch3.0.tar.Z

I finally took the plunge and got nfswatch, had the kernel compiled with
the packet filter, etc.  Then I ran nfswatch. Works pretty nice, shows
a lot of interesting things. Then I said ok, thats neat, and did a

/etc/pfconfig -p ln0

To turn of promiscuous mode. To my suprise I started getting a TON of complaints
that no one could connect to any system via LAT! The only system they could
connect to was mine! Strange? I finally though maybe I did something by
using nfswatch. The second I rebooted my machine everyone could use LAT
again! I tried this a couple of times, and everytime I took ln0 out of
promscuous mode no one could use LAT!

Has anyone seen this before?? Are you supposed to keep the interface in
promiscuous mode once you have used it that way?

Roland

--
Roland J. Schemers III                              Systems/Network Manager
schemers at vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ultrix)              Oakland University