stopping unwanted output to tty

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu Feb 28 12:16:35 AEST 1991

In article <1155 at usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> mcba at newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Michael C. B. Ashley) writes:
> Picture this:   you are logged into your trusty DECstation using a 1200
>                 baud modem. You accidently enter a command which results
>                 in a few megabytes of data being sent down the modem
>                 (e.g., perhaps your program had a few more compilation
>                 errors than you thought it would :-)).
>
> Question:       How do you avoid having to wait half an hour or so before
>                 getting control of your DECstation back again?

Real questions:   what's your environment?

		  If you have a high speed modem on the decsystem that's
		  buffering output, you need to defeat the modem.  Some
		  modems can be set up to purge buffered output when they
		  receive a break.

		  If there's a telnet connection involved, you're probably
		  screwed, take a coffee break.

		  Otherwise, get somebody to spring for a faster modem!  8-)

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com