Ultrix 4.1, local mail is from daemon

dave barrett dbb at riscy.enet.dec.com
Sun Jan 6 12:24:43 AEST 1991

In article <9101040511.AA04290 at belch.Berkeley.EDU> rusty at BELCH.BERKELEY.EDU (Rusty Wright) writes:
>Local mail on my DECstation always has daemon in the From line,
>although the From: line shows the correct sender.  Here is a sample:
>
>	From daemon Thu Jan  3 20:59:36 1991
>	Date: Thu, 3 Jan 91 20:59:35 -0800
>	From: rusty (Rusty Wright)
>	To: rusty
>
>I suspect that its from the Ou1 that's in the sendmail.cf file that we
>use here at UC Berkeley.  But if I remember correctly, that's been
>there forever; why don't other sendmail's put daemon in the From line?
>Is there something other than Ou1 that I should have in my sendmail.cf
>file?  Or should I delete it?

The sendmail.cf file that comes with ULTRIX 4.0 (I'm not sure if it's
in 4.1) should be patched.  The line:

Mlocal,	P=/bin/mail, F=rlsDFmn, S=10, R=10, A=mail -d $u

Should be modified so:

Mlocal,	P=/bin/mail, F=lsDFmn, S=10, R=10, A=mail -r $f -d $u

Then "refreeze" your sendmail file (sendmail -bz in single user mode).

This is not an "official" patch, but it works fine for the above problem
(Thanks to Fred Avolio)

	David Barrett

	dbb at riscy.enet.dec.com
	..!decwrl!riscy.enet!dbb