Problem defining vt300 on a Sun4

Marianne King mking at lll-crg.llnl.gov
Fri Jan 25 08:41:30 AEST 1991

When I rlogin from a DEC/Ultrix machine to other Unix machines I am
having a problem defining a vt300 terminal.  The problem occurs when I
use vi.  By the way, please save your snide remarks about vi for
some other time ;) On a Sun 3/Unix 4.2 and a BSD 4.3 machine I set my
TERMCAP environment variable to /home1/mking/mytermcap which contains
the termcap entry for a vt300 terminal and vi works properly.
However, on a Sun 4 release 4.1 I get the following message when I
run vi:

vt300: Unknown terminal type
I don't know what kind of terminal you are on - all I have is 'vt300'

At this point vi is basically useless.  I can define the terminal as
a vt200 or vt100 to get "vi" to work.  However, I would like to find a
better solution.

Marianne E. King
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
mking at lll-crg.llnl.gov