DEC license rip off ?

Greg Pavlov pavlov at canisius.UUCP
Sun Jan 13 18:10:46 AEST 1991

> In article <50086 at prls.UUCP> gordon at prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes:
>
>        DEC sure shot that down !  Even though the 750 and 780 have
>      Ultrix licenses, we were told that neither license could be transferred.
>      The license stayes with the CPU even if the two machines are scrapped.
>      Further more, the VMS license on the 8350 may have value but none of
>      that value could be applied toward the purchase of an Ultrix license
>      for that same CPU .  The VMS license must remain with the 8350 even
>      if we wipe VMS out and over write it with Ultrix.

  This type of c*&^!@*!p, but from a different angle  (DEC's marketing folks
  are chock full of legal-but-morally-corrupt "angles"), forced us into buying
  a small VAX cpu box from DEC recently instead of a used one from someone
  else.

  DEC "won" this particular battle and gained about $10K in the process.  But
  they'll lose the war in that eventually we'll get to another round of major
  purchases and unless DEC's games have gone away, we'll be buying from some-
  one else.

  pavlov at stewart.fstrf.org