Tape overwritten

Jose Angel Vela Avila josevela at mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx
Sun Jan 27 04:15:31 AEST 1991

pjc at cc.ic.ac.uk writes:

>From: pjc at cc.ic.ac.uk ()
>Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
>Subject: Tape problems

>Problem:
>   TK50 that has had the front of a tar file overwritten by another
>   much shorter one. Can I get at any of the data of the original file
>   on the tape?

>   I am willing to consider manually winding on the TK50 If I have to.
>   MT seems unable to get past the EOF and the first partial block on
>   the tape.

>   Any ideas or should I give up?

>   Thanks.

  Je.. je.. I has the same problem some weeks ago (on a TU81 tape), and after
some delivering and studing :-) I recover my tape :-)  :

  First mount your tape, then do a:  mt -f /dev/rmt? eotdis  ; with this
you disables de EOT

 Then do : mt -f /dev/nrmt? fsr 55      **NOTE: Use the nrmt? for NOT-rewind
tape, fsr is forward records, and CHECK that 55 works for you.. it works for mebut in a TU81  ok?

BYE.
Jose A. Vela Avila
josevela at mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx