sockets on DECstation 3100

Dave Myers dmyers at uswat.uswest.com
Thu Jan 10 11:56:32 AEST 1991

I have never built an appliation using sockets.  I read through the ULTRIX
Interprocess Communication Primer and tried to get some simple programs to
work.  However, I found that the structure definition for sockaddr in
/usr/include/sys/socket.h is quite different from the one used in the
examples.  I added an entry into the /etc/services file.  I then tried to
do a getservbyname call to retrieve it, but that failed.  I tried the same
call on some other entries, and some, like ftp, succeeded, while others,
like finger, failed.  I would appreciate any help pointing me in the right
direction on this problem, or provide me with a simple working server/client
program pair.

thanks,

Dave Myers
dmyers at uswest.com