Sticky bit crashed my DS3100?

Daniel S. Riley riley at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Sun Jan 20 10:13:42 AEST 1991

In article <7301 at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
>	I have a DS3100 which mounts a DS5400's filesystems via NFS.  I set
>the sticky bit on an executable on the 5400, and then executed it from the
>DS3100.  The DS3100 immediately panicked and crashed.
>
>	This is under Ultrix 4.0.  What happened?

I've seen this too, under 3.1 and 4.0.  I think Ultrix gets upset if
you change the sticky bit on an image which is already in the text
table--either a currently running image, or an image which had been
run recently and is still in the cache.

I thought the BSD documentation had some procedure which somehow
forces the image to be flushed from the text table--but I don't have
the docs handy to check it.

-Dan Riley (riley at theory.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University