Ultrix/X (more questions) [compose character vs. meta]

John T Kohl jtkohl at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 9 01:50:10 AEST 1991

In article <88897 at lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> sowa at amdew.llnl.gov (Erik C. Sowa) writes:

> When running the new R4 xmh under DECwindows, the meta-key shortcuts do
> not work. twm and emacs both use the compose-character key for meta, why
> doesn't this work here? Do I need to remake the Athena widgets with some
> special attention to this @#$%#%^@$ keyboard?

Probably not; try using 'xmodmap' to make the compose-character key into
a Meta_L key.  However, if you do this, some true DECwindows
applications may malfunction if they expect to be able to use/detect a
true compose character key.

Here's what I use in a file I feed to xmodmap; this works
on both DECwindows servers and X11R4 servers (since I use the keycode):

! 177 is the Compose Character key on the LK201
! this is needed to insure that it's really a meta key
keycode 177 = Meta_L
keysym comma = comma less
keysym period = period greater
--
John Kohl <jtkohl at ATHENA.MIT.EDU> or <jtkohl at MIT.EDU>
Digital Equipment Corporation/Project Athena