SunOS vs. Ultrix comparison

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Mon Jan 28 13:06:27 AEST 1991

fisk at netcom.UUCP (Benjamin Fisk) writes:

>Shared libraries not only save on disk space but they are also
>usefull in cotrolling software releases.  One person can change
>a central library and effectively change a number of other
>users library.

	I did exactly this and managed to totally break nearly everything
on my system at once. It was a pretty neat trick. Fortunately I was able
to repair it, after a little running about red-faced. I think in the early
4.0 releases (the first with shared libs) SunOs had a bug in fgets() that
was rather serious - fixing it was simply a matter of repairing the system
library - so it's a useful feature if used carefully.
	The earlier versions of 4.X used to have a really amusing feature
in which the program that the systems administrator could use to manipulate
shared libraries was compiled with dynamic linking. So, if you *DID* trash
your shared-load cache, you couldn't fix it because the fixer was broken
too.

mjr.
--
Q: How many Real Programmers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: It depends.