ultrix 4.0 dbx

Brian Kelley brian at cimage.com
Mon Jan 14 07:43:00 AEST 1991

In article <10166 at pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> mao at postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Mike Olson) writes:
>this is new to 4.0; on all our other platforms, and under earlier releases
>of ultrix, dbx doesn't barf like this.  my forlorn question:  does anyone
>have a workaround?  is there any way i can tell dbx to ignore this problem,
>and just not print strings with bad addresses?  this is a major pain.

I agree.  The new dbx is a pain.  It also doesn't work with xdbx (that and
the lousy DEC keryboard means that our programmers would rather use Suns.
(are you listening DEC marketing/sales?)).  I wish DEC had left the old
version intact.  Change a standard tool in several very incompatible ways
(and break it in several ways) and not leave the old version around.  Real
Smart.

We do not have any pre 4.0 hosts at our site.  Has anyone tried using
a version of dbx from a 3.X release under 4.0?

What will OSF/1 be shipping as their debugger?

>					mao at postgres.berkeley.edu

---
brian at cimage.com