uucp does not work with full domain name (ultrix 3.1)

Mark Wright mark at badger.dosli.govt.nz
Wed Jan 9 06:24:43 AEST 1991

      Vaxstation II GPX, Ultrix 3.1.

  In order to install BIND, I am trying to change the vaxstation's
name to a fully qualified domain name. However once I do this, running
uucico fails immediately with "illegal instruction". Using full
debugging is of no help, as "illegal instruction" is the only message
produced.

  My best guess is that Dec's uucp was compiled to use gethostname to
establish the uucp name (as opposed to using /etc/uucpname) and can't cope
with the length of the name. Has anyone else seen the problem? Or am I missing
something?

  We will be upgrading soon to 4.0, if the problem is fixed there, I
can wait, otherwise I will have to get hold of another version of uucp
and install it (a task I really don't need at the moment :-( ).

  Any suggestions gratefully received.
--

 Mark Wright.                    Dept. of Survey and Land Information,NZ.
 email: mark at dosli.govt.nz       phone: 64 4 710-380 ext 8688