Printer port vs. modem on a MicroVax II/RC wth Ultrix 4.0

jay dubb jdubb at bucsf.bu.edu
Sun Jan 20 02:10:35 AEST 1991

I am posting this for a friend of mine who doesn't have access to
USENET, so please reply directly to mlevin at jade.tufts.edu.

   I have a MicroVax II/RC running Ultrix 4.0. I used Makedev to
create /dev/ttycp, which corresponds to the RS232 port on the back. I
have this connected to a modem, and use Kermit to transfer files. Now,
I also have a printer, which I would occasionally like to use. If I
use the lprsetup command to set up a printer device (for a DEC LA100),
will this mess up the /dev/ttycp modem capabilities (since the
physical port in back of the machine is the same)? That is, if I do
set it up, can I print and use Kermit alternately, by simply switching
the appropriate device (swapping cables) to the back of the uVax?
Thanks in advance.
				Mike Levin (mlevin at jade.tufts.edu)