Using the digital audio tape, TLZ04 (summary)

Shirish Chinchalkar chinch at modi.cs.cornell.edu
Thu Jan 10 07:36:17 AEST 1991

    I few days ago I had posted a query on how to install and use the digital
audio tape drive TLZ04. I got *several* responses; here is the summary.

    First of all, DEC does not officially support TLZ04 with Ultrix 4.0, so I
will have to get Ultrix 4.1. However it is possible to use it with ultrix 4.0.
One needs to use "MAKEDEV tzn" where "n" is the SCSI number of the tape drive.
The MAKEDEV script will create the files "/dev/rmtyh" and "/dev/nrmtyh" where
"y" is the next available digit that has not been used yet (MAKEDEV prints
the names out as it creates these files). The files "/dev/rmtyh" and
"/dev/nrmtyh" can now be used to access the tape drive.

    I tried it and it worked like a charm.

    Several people recommended using "xdvi" as the latex previewer (running
under X windows); I will try it soon.

    Thanks to all those who replied.

                      Shirish.