SunOS vs. Ultrix comparison

Benjamin Fisk fisk at netcom.UUCP
Mon Jan 28 05:40:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan24.102601 at wsl.dec.com>, klee at wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:
> While it's true that you will see large disk space savings by using
> shared libraries, it's my understanding that no 3rd party software
> vendors will use them because of the huge QA and support problems.  Any
> software vendors care to comment?  Thanks.

Shared libraries not only save on disk space but they are also
usefull in cotrolling software releases.  One person can change
a central library and effectively change a number of other
users library.  This can cut down on the amount of chaos that
can occur when lots of developers are making changes to a
common module.   This kindof software develpoment is common
in VM shops.  I am supprised to find out that it is not common
place in the UNIX world.  Shared libraries can lead to problems
if its administration is not done with great care.

Shared libraries are a feature that developers enjoy.  It is
not necessarily a feature for production software soaks

B. Fisk