Ultrix/X

Barry Margolin barmar at think.com
Thu Jan 3 16:28:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan3.042524.20774 at crl.dec.com> jg at quabbin.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) writes:
>In article <BGLENDEN.91Jan2183049 at colobus.cv.nrao.edu> bglenden at colobus.cv.nrao.edu (Brian Glendenning) writes:
>>2. I tried compiling twm from X11R3. It apparently compiled fine, but my
>>   keystrokes never got to the application (but the border
>>   highlighting did follow the pointer). What have I done wrong?
>This did not get adopted as a standard until R4, and software that
>predates the ICCCM may have problems,
>I suspect this is what is happening to your R3 twm; I certainly don't see it
>with the R4 twm I use every day on my machine.

Actually, it sounds like an R3 TWM bug that hit me quite a bit.  If the
.twmrc binds any keys that don't exist on the terminal you're using, no
keyboard input is ever sent to client windows.

Most users never noticed it, but if you switched between different
terminals with different special function keys, and tried to bind actions
to keys that they don't have in common, the problem rears its head.  The
workaround was to have multiple .twmrc files and rename them prior to
starting twm.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com