DMD 5620 software hosted from an Ultrix DECStation or Vaxen?

Chris Siebenmann cks at hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Fri Jan 25 15:56:46 AEST 1991

 I know that this undoubtedly far far far out in left field, but does
anyone have a port of the DMD 5620 software (32ld, 3cc, etc) that runs
on an Ultrix DECStation or Vaxen? I'm not concerned about the kernel
modifications (if any) necessary; we're source licensed and we have
an idea for how to get around the J* ioctls anyways. I'm looking for
working versions of 32ld, 3cc, and so on.

 Starting from the source code from the V8 tape (yes, we're licensed for
that), I've managed to get a version that will download the one
standalone program binary I have (gebaca, the arcade game), but that
can't download and have work
	main() { exit(); }
I've done some mangling of 3ld so that it generates what looks like the
right byte-mangled entry point, but it doesn't want to allocate any
space for stacks. When I tried relocating the stacks to various
theoretically out-of-the-way places, it still blows up nicely.

 I can compile layers/mux application binaries that compare identical
to the binary files I have (well, apart from the <censored> timestamp).
I'd try the same test with gebaca except I don't have source for it.
The DMD 5620 I'm testing on has the 8;7;5 ROMs.

 If anyone has patches, entire software distributions, or even hints
they'd be very gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--
		V9: the kernel where you can do
			fgrep <something> */*.[ch]