Problems with LAT printers...

Leonard Peirce peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Tue Jan 29 05:20:34 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan22.164300.12034 at ucunix.san.uc.edu> Don.Rainwater at UC.Edu writes:
>	We're having some trouble with LAT printers under Ultrix 4.1.
>The jobs seem to print out okay, but then Ultrix doesn't let go of the
>port (SHOW SESSIONS PORT 1 on the DECserver says that the port is still
>connected to the Ultrix system).  The next time a job is submitted to
>that printer queue, Ultrix thinks that the port is busy and marks the
>queue as stalled.
> [...]
>	Has anyone else experienced this?

I have.  We've had this problem for some time and have reported it to DEC
and gotten nowhere with it.  We share LAT printers between VMS and ULTRIX
all over campus and quite often ULTRIX will get ahold of the port and not
let go, stopping printing altogether until the port is logged out.

However, I was just at USENIX and someone there told me that he has exactly
the same setup that we have here and he has no problems.  He alluded to some-
thing in the release notes for 4.[01], although I didn't see anything that
looked like it would help.

In case anyone is interested, we're running LP27's on DECserver200's.  We're
running VMS 5.4 in a cluster and ULTRIX 4.1 on a MicroVAX II.  I'm not
sure what software version is running on the DECservers but I can find out.

If *ANYONE* has a fix for this, I would forever be in your debt.
Leonard Peirce                  Internet:  peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce at gw.wmich.edu
Academic Computing Services     UUCP:      ...!uunet!sharkey!wmichgw!peirce
Kalamazoo, MI  49008            Phone:     (616) 387-5469