Xwindows defaults

Joel Gringorten gringort at wsl.dec.com
Fri Jun 7 07:27:31 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun6.114416.481 at otago.ac.nz>, nicaugh at otago.ac.nz writes:
|> I have a problem with X-windows on a Decstation 3100 running ultrix 3.1,
|> X is is Xmfb initialiased using xdm, with uwm window manager.
|>
|> The problem is that X applications are not reading my ~/.Xdefaults file.
|> The only way I can specify defaults is to use xrdb.

The thing that comes to mind is that your resource data base is already
installed (as a property on your root window.)  The DEC session manager
normally does this -- dunno if xdm does.  If you have the resource data
base already installed, the X toolkit does not bother reading the resources
from your .Xdefaults file.

I think if you first remove the resources on the root window, the toolkit
will get your resources from the .Xdefaults file.  Use the command:  "xrdb -r"

-joel