LAT patches have messed up my Imagen printer -- help?

Johan Vromans jv at mh.nl
Fri Mar 29 00:38:38 AEST 1991

In article <7834 at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> I wrote:
> As soon as we installed the LAT patches on our 5400, the Imagen refused to
> print binary files....
> In addition, print jobs sometimes just hang, saying "no daemon present" or
> "waiting for imagen to connect" (lpq messages).

I have the same problems, but I can add extra information.

I have two systems (DECsystem5000/200's) that are clustered together.
They run Ultrix 4.0. They share the /usr file system, but they have
their own private / and /var . Their kernels are identical.

In the original set-up, system ONE did the printing via LAT, and
system TWO printed remote on ONE. Both system accepted LAT sessions.

Then system ONE started crashing with the problems described in the
referenced articles. So I disabled LAT on ONE, and had system TWO
printing directly via LAT. This way I had two systems running, though
only one of them supported LAT.

Then I patched the kernel of ONE, after which it could handle LAT
again. But now it exposes the printer problems. System TWO, with an
un-patched kernel, still runs, accepts LAT connections and prints via
LAT.

If the problem were in the network or in the terminal servers --we have
DECserver200's-- I would have expected both systems to suffer.
If it were in the (Ultrix-) software, I would also expect both systems
to suffer equally.
Both systems are doing well on TCP/IP and NFS, so the network hardware
seems reliable.

Wonderful, isn't it?

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv at mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv