DS5000->VMEbus->Ciprico->1.2 GB Sabre

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sat Mar 2 17:25:31 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar1.141024.16324 at mailer.cc.fsu.edu> bauer at loligo.cc.fsu.edu (Jeff Bauer) writes:
> A wild idea.  We have a DECstation 5000.  DEC sells a VMEbus
> expansion chassis.  We also have some Ciprico controllers and
> CDC SMD Sabre 1.2 GB drives sitting nearby.  Theory says they
> should all connect!

Theory, bah!  Sounds like a death wish to me.  If you wanna set
up a fileserver with SMD drives, the best bet is a DS5400/5500
with a nice Q-bus emulating controller.

I'm using Exsys converters to attached SMD drives to a HSC
attached to a DS5800, but the experience remains painful.

I'd stick with SCSI drives on the DS5000.  You can send me
the Sabre's and Ciprico stuff, and I'll stick them in a Sun
or some other open architecture machine here... 8-)

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com