Will prestoserve help a client

Piercarlo Antonio Grandi pcg at test.aber.ac.uk
Mon Mar 18 04:04:04 AEST 1991

On 11 Mar 91 21:38:00 GMT, mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) said:

mjr> puglia at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu writes:

puglia> Will prestoserve help improve NFS performance if it is
puglia> installed on a client?  My gut reaction is no, but
puglia> DEC presales claims that it might.  Who is right?

mjr> Nope. It might improve other client file-system I/O (writing file
mjr> system meta-data) but it won't help the client do NFS.

Rethorical question: how many megabytes of extra disk buffer cache on
the client or server can you buy for the cost of one NFS accelerator?
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg
Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK | INET: pcg at aber.ac.uk