HELP! scsi needed on DEC 5830

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sat Mar 16 14:27:05 AEST 1991

In article <795 at llnl.LLNL.GOV> trj at phoenix.llnl.gov (Terry R. Jones x39834) writes:

> Hello,
>
> We're interested in connecting some scsi devices (optical disk jukebox
> and very high quality color printer) to a DEC 5830.  This brings up
> several questions:
>
>  (1) Does anyone know of a BI-card that talks scsi?  (Note: the 5830
>      doesn't have a Q-bus or Uni-bus.)  Any experience with it?

There is one board sold as a direct BI->Exabyte SCSI interface, I think
it was originally designed by Megatape and is now being marketed by
Clearpoint or both.

While I suspect the basic board could handle any SCSI peripheral, it is
probably set up with controller "microcode" to provide TMSCP emulation,
so providing MSCP emulation might require additional software development.

I don't know if they are interested in pursuing this option, I'd certainly
snap up one of their boards if I knew I could use it for SCSI hard drives
and CD-ROM.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com