file and record locking questions (general)

Dave Eisen dkeisen at Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU
Sat Mar 30 12:38:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar29.124756.18856 at news.cs.indiana.edu> royle at tope.cs.indiana.edu (Keenan Royle) writes:
>yes it is portable. (not just Ultrix)
>
>flock locks a file.
>lockf and fcntl can lock records in files (or the whole file).
>lockf is just a nice front-end to fcntl.
>
>All locks are advisory.
>
>Ultrix is BSD based.  Portablity to system 5 may be trickier.

Yes it might be. The locking mechanisms (using lockf and fcntl) in
SCO Xenix are *not* advisory locks, they are out and out LOCKS. I believe
it's the same in System V.

--
Dave Eisen
1101 San Antonio Rd. Suite 102