MacX and Ultrix 4.0

Bruce Barnett barnett at grymoire.crd.ge.com
Wed Mar 6 01:03:58 AEST 1991

In article <JTKOHL.91Mar1145729 at quicksilver.MIT.EDU> jtkohl at MIT.EDU (John T Kohl) writes:

>   Flame the vendor of MacX for using rexecd.

Actually - someone told me to Flame DEC because of a bug in Ultrix 4.0
that is fixed in Ultrix 4.1.

>   [rshd is slightly better, in that it doesn't let you type a password,
>   but it does rely on IP addresses.  They can be forged, but it takes more
>   work than it does to steal a password.]

I don't quite agree. Anyone can unplug a machine that isn't in a locked room.
And it's easier to change an IP address that it is to decode a
password from several packets flying across a net. As long as the
ethernet addess isn't cached it would be easier to crack rshd than rexecd.
(Most people turn off their Mac's at night.) Also - the Mac's can
select IP numbers dynamically. If this is done, rshd won't work.

I will agree that Apple should support both protocols, like White
Pine's X server for the Mac.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett at crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett